Purpose of the role
The role is essentially split both in terms of functional, operational and brand management support. Key areas include:
- To be responsible for the proactive management of a portfolio of products within specified categories, working closely with internal food and commercial teams to deliver the best quality products at optimum prices.
- To actively take part in brand activities delivering supply chain solutions to the brands as well as ensuring that brand activities are managed and communicated well within Supply Chain.
Scope of the Role
- Accountable for delivery of commercial savings, improved quality and innovative solutions through effective product management across a broad range of products
- Developing and maintaining an in-depth knowledge of the assigned categories and specific requirements of the brands in order to maximise value to the customer and improve competitive edge
- Leading in the identification, evaluation and development of sources of supply which meet stringent standards of quality, service and cost
- Implementing a continuous improvement programme across the supplier base to achieve improvements in reliability, adaptability and price
- Ensuring suppliers understand and focus on strategy, growth and profitability requirements
- Working with suppliers to ensure successful implementation of new products in line with menu change
- Assisting in, and leading the identification of goods required by the business, working closely with internal food and marketing teams
- Monitoring and forecasting stock levels of ingredients within categories, liaising with internal distribution function
- Researching and identifying new products and suppliers
- Generating and assessing tenders from potential suppliers
- Negotiating prices and agreeing contracts
- Ensuring that suppliers deliver consistent product quality within agreed specifications
- Keeping abreast of market trends
Operational Brand support
- Aligning Supply Chain priorities with those of the brands
- Acting as key contact within Supply Chain for brand senior management
- Playing an active role as a member of the brand senior management team; creating and maintaining brand values, operational performance and excellence.
- Working within product categories, identify areas of improvement in terms of waste reduction, value engineering and ‘fit for purpose’ across all areas of the business
- Representing the team and working on key projects across the business
Skills & behaviours
The candidate needs to be highly organised and efficient in planning workload with sound project management skills. The ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines is vital.
Is seen as a representative and ambassador of the restaurant brands which needs to be reflected in how the candidate deals with external stakeholders – i.e. suppliers and distributors
Strong analytical skills essential and to be able to balance operational delivery and strategic thinking. A sound mathematical ability is key, with the candidate feeling comfortable working on budgets and figures.
The candidate needs to demonstrate an ability to communicate to people at all levels both within the business and outside and needs to possess excellent written and verbal skills. Any Italian language skills would be advantageous.
Quite often not one solution will be suitable and therefore the candidate has to be able to think and act broadly to affect results.
A burning desire to get things resolved striving to get the best for the business with a great focus on Customer Service
Excellent negotiating and networking skills to deliver the best results for the business.
Relevant Experience / Qualifications
- Buying experience in an FMCG environment, preferably retail
- Restaurant, wholesale, retail or manufacturer operations background thus understanding the demands of numerous “customers”
- Evidence of Higher Education, preferably to degree level with an excellent command of verbal and written English
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office, including Word and Excel
- Preferable industry qualifications i.e. CIPS
- Car Allowance
- Bonus 20%
- Pension 6%
- Private Healthcare for Self
- Income Protection
- Life Assurance
- 50% discount at ASK Italian and Zizzi & 25% at Coco di Mama
- Employee Assistance Programme